Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First eats from our garden!


We had a (very) little bit of broccoli that was ready to be cut before it flowered yesterday. Another day or two and it would have gotten the yellow flowers and have been inedible. So, even though it was a paltry amount, we brought it in, and I sauteed it in a bit of olive oil with some garlic, salt, and pepper.

It was heavenly! It had such a different taste than what I am used to with store-bought broccoli. It tasted fresh, and crisp, and lovely.

It was just one of life's perfect moments that will forever be seared in my memory. We stood hip-to-hip at the stove, cooking something we grew together. I felt joy from my head to my toes. I am living the life I have always wanted to. This to me, is the stuff that dreams are made of. I had a small inkling of how Martha Stewart must feel all the time.

Who knew broccoli was so magical?



Edited to add:

I found this recipe yesterday while I was reading up on broccoli-growing. Hopefully at some point I have enough garden-fresh broccoli to make it. I think I'll omit the carrots, but the dressing sounds so yummy. Not to mention, we have a ton of dill growing right now!

Steamed Broccoli with Lemon-Dill Dressing




•1 bunch broccoli (about 2 pounds)

•3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 -inch strips

Lemon-Dill Dressing



•6 tablespoons olive oil

•2 tablespoons lemon juice

•zest of one lemon, grated or minced

•1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)

•1 teaspoon dried dill weed or 3 teaspoons fresh dill

•salt to taste

Wash, trim stems from broccoli and peel, cut into strips the same size as carrots. Cut florets into small uniform pieces and set aside. Prepare carrots and set aside. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. (Or prepare the steamer) Add carrots and broccoli stems. Cook for one minute. Add broccoli florets and boil two minutes longer. Do not over cook. Drain, and rinse under cold running water, drain again. Place in a large bowl and gently toss with dressing. Serve immediately.



Makes six servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment