Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oh, dear... I thought I had a couple more years.

There's no denying it. I am going grey!

I had noticed in recent months that I was plucking a few more grey hairs here and there. Since I usually leave my hair down or pulled back into a side-parted ponytail, I had no idea what was lurking beneath the surface, because I really couldn't see it. Then, last Saturday before the gym, I pulled my hair all the way back into a slicked-back ponytail instead of the side parted kind. And what did I see? Many, many, many grey hairs.

And not just individual hairs - grey streaks!

It has been a stressful year in some ways, yes, but I never dreamed the ages of 33-34 could be so darn cruel. As if the 15 pounds I have gained were not bad enough, Father Time decided to add insult to injury by turning me into a much-less-lovely version of Emmylou Harris.

I guess this means it's time to dye. I am really dreading it, because I hate the upkeep. I am a natural redhead (although it has darkened to a nice auburn as I've aged), but I never liked it growing up. When I was about 20, I bleached it blond. Oh Lord have mercy. It was not a good look, but I didn't realize that at the time. By the time I came to my senses, I didn't have the patience to grow it back out to it's natural color, so I began dyeing it different shades of red for years. In late 2004 I decided to bite the bullet and let my natural hair color come back in. It took almost 3 years. I vowed to never dye it again until I absolutely had to. I guess that time has come. They seem to be multiplying by the day. I just saw another one when I glanced in the bathroom mirror a few moments ago. Right on top of my head in plain sight this time.

Goodbye, real hair color with your natural variations and highlights. I wish I had loved you more in my younger years!

3 comments:

  1. are you eating healthy? I have had, at various times in my life, grey streaks in my hair and a doctor told me they were not from growing old but rather a sign of malnutrition! And he must have been right b/c they have gone away! weird...but something to make sure is not up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I think it's just because I am getting older. We do eat pretty healthy most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I color my hair my natural color nowadays. I have about 3 grey hairs in the front of my head. They are kinky and curl up like an old persons pubic hair or something. It's hideous!! When I get more, I am doomed.

    ReplyDelete