Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gym Rat (AKA Last Ditch Fat Burn)

The Bip and I have been going to the gym 4 times a week for a few weeks now. I hate getting up at 4:30 on weekdays, but I'm usually pretty happy to be there once I'm there. I really enjoy working out. I've been largely (no pun intended) inactive for quite some time now, and my metabolism is sllllooooowwwwing waaaaay doooowwwwwn, so it's necessary at this point in my life, as well.

To be completely honest, if it wasn't for this guy,


http://dontreadthis-bippy49.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't be going at all. He is the one that joined for us, and we're members for the next 3 years, so I imagine I'll be pretty hot 36 months from now. Watch out!

Monday night, I had a bit of a meltdown. I was trying on my dress, seeing how it looked with the flip flops (awful by the way - going to have to get white ones or just go barefoot, and we {ok, he} did find some yellow heels online, too. They'll be here by the end of the week. I think the shoe crisis is over!) and... it's too tight. Right in the rib cage. Uncomfortable and looks terrible, too.

I'm not going to lie and say I didn't spend a few freaked-out minutes trying to find a different wedding dress in a more flattering color - like black. I did. I was hysterical. I am not a high-maintenence type of girl at all. I'd rather read a book than fuss with my hair or clothes any day of the week, but I do want to look nice in my wedding pictures, and not have the seams of my dress digging into my skin because it's too tight. After whining to a friend via text and talking rationally about it to the Bip (and also watching an episode of Intervention, which really put things in perspective), it was decided that I will stop doing the weights for now, and just do cardio at least once a day until we leave for Tybee. So, with the exception of Monday, I will have been at the gym for almost 13 days straight or something like that by the time we leave. I'd love to be able to hop on my Gazelle when I get home and do cardio a second time every day, but my leg has started acting up again and I don't know if this is possible. I feel I get a far better workout at the gym, so maybe it's best to just do that and not risk overdoing it. We'll see. All I know is I am hurtin'!

As for my leg - basically, my only other option is to go to an orthopedic surgeon. I called the other day to see if I could get another steroid shot so I don't have to limp down the aisle, but I was told no (they can only do them every three months) but they recommended I take some ibuprofen! Seriously? This has been going on since March or April and I have been taking anti-inflammatories (OTC and prescription strength) for months straight. I think if that was going to work, it would have by now. But then again, what do I know? I'm not a doctor. (That was sarcasm)

So, I probably will indeed be a limping bride. In the meantime I just need to get a knee brace for when I work out and keep at it. I don't know if it was the endorphins or what, but after this morning's workout, my leg pain wasn't so bad. I could feel that good exhausted ache all through my body, but my leg wasn't screaming as loudly as it usually does. Or maybe I just couldn't hear it over all the other ruckus.

After the honeymoon, I think I am going to try acupuncture. Doctors haven't helped yet, or even been able to tell me what the issue is. Maybe this will work?

No comments:

Post a Comment