Monday, September 27, 2010

Making Fig Jam

I could not wait to make this fig jam yesterday. After I did my vodka infusions, I went to the gym and then came home and got right to it. My mom taught me how to can a few years ago, and it's suprisingly easy (although I've only done jams, jellies and fruit butters so far). This post is not intended to be a step-by-step, but it's a good overview, especially if you've never canned before but would like to try. Hopefully this will inspire you.

I stemmed and quartered 2 lbs of black mission figs. This one is only halved, but it was pretty so I took a picture.



Add the figs to one cup of water in a non-reactive pot (I used my Le Creuset) and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn down to a simmer and let it cook for 10 minutes, while mashing with a potato masher.



Then you add in a cup (I think?) of sugar, a half cup of balsamic vinegar and a quarter cup of bottled lemon juice (I normally never use bottled, but it's what the recipe specified, so that's what I used). Bring to a boil again, then reduce to a simmer and let it go for about 20 minutes. Keep mashing periodically.



Put in sterilized jars with sterilized lids (very important!). Process with boiling water method for 10 minutes. Remove from water, wait for the seals to pop, tighten the lid rings, and leave them alone for 24 hours. Eat. Give as gifts. Keeps for 1 year.



It's wonderful on biscuits or toast, but it's absolutely knock-your-socks-off delicious on cheese and crackers. Especially on top of a sharp or really flavorful cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment