Friday, June 18, 2010

Resolving to keep trying!

I am not so good at keeping New Years resolutions, so I try to be casual about it and keep them attainable. But here we are halfway through the year, and I realize I've barely put a dent in them.

My first resolution every year is to work on being a better me. I am imperfect, as is everyone, but some years I am more imperfect than others. I have been working hard at this one. I can't undo anything that's already been done, but I can go forward and do better. And that's what I'm trying to do. At some point, you just have to forgive yourself and keep going.

My other two resolutions have not been going so well. What were they, you ask?

1. Learn to accessorize.

2. Use reuseable bags for grocery shopping and such. No more plastic!

I'm a failure when it comes to these two! I have managed to get two new rings this year, and a bracelet. They've only been worn a few times each. That's as far as I got with accessorizing. Our money goes one of three places: toward house projects, savings account, or toward wedding and honeymoon plans. I don't exactly have the luxury of spending money on myself these days. Mostly, I'm ok with that, but sometimes I wish I could be a little frivolous without having massive guilt. Aside from my weekly issue of People magazine, frivolity is not something that really happens in my household anymore.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at Whole Foods, and the lady in line in front of me not only blew my mind by spending $430 on mostly produce (how does one eat $430 worth of vegetables before they go bad??), but she then bagged it all into reuseable shopping bags and went on her merry way. It made me and my box of mini-cupcakes feel pretty bad about ourselves.

Now that I have reminded myself of the personal goals I wanted to accomplish this year, maybe I will try a little harder to make them happen. :)




















This weekend we have a lot on our plate - finally installing shelves in the Library, painting three rooms, switching out bedrooms, moving bed and furniture that is in garage into what is going to be the guest bedroom, and hopefully ordering two living room chairs. Wow! Send us some "git er done" energy, because we're going to need it. I really hope we can make it happen! We want to have a little 4th of July shinding (actually, we'll probably do it on the 3rd) and I want the house in a little bit better shape by then. That just gives us this weekend and next weekend - eek!

But first, I need a good night of sleep. Let's hope that finally happens tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment