Monday, June 14, 2010

Garden - Week 9





As you can see, our dogwood is dead dead dead. Not sure what happened there or why, but we've pulled it up and hope to replace it with a magnolia soon.




If you don't think this little yellow baby squash is one of the cutest things you've ever seen, then your heart is black and dead. Sorry to be the one to tell you.




If you're wondering why things are looking a little less bushy than in weeks past, it's because I did a little googling and found out  that it was ok to trim off some zucchini leaves. It was getting huge, and the leaves were blocking sun from getting down to the ground (helping my little zukes grow), as well as overshadowing some other plants, like our poor rosemary.

As you can see, I have re-potted the heirloom tomato plant, and added a tomato cage (had to, I came home one day last week and the whole plant was keeling over on itself because it was so heavy).

There is a reason you are supposed to cage your tomato plants BEFORE they get too big (and I can't take the blame for this, since I just bought it last week) - trying to do it after the plant is huge without breaking off some major branches is impossible. Actually, one of the branches that broke had three little blooms on it. I left it be, and it has not withered up and died yet. I wonder if it will survive? Time will tell.



When I was at Home Depot Saturday to get the pot and cage for the tomato, I found some tiny, dried-out struggling okra plants. Apparently, the hose had overlooked them a few times. I bought two of them. I just planted them in a medium pot and we'll see if they take or not. If so, I'll probably have to transefer them at some point.

I also found some regular thyme, which I was unable to find when we planted the garden originally. Lemon thyme is growing in the garden now, and it's huge... I'll never be able to use it all.



Happy Monday, if there is such a thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment