Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Holy crap, this stuff is good.

I was kind of inspired by this recipe of Pioneer Woman's over the weekend (the bottom recipe with the sweetened condensed milk). We don't drink much other than water at our house (occasionally we will split a tiny can of root beer), but this hot weather leaves us wanting a little something different to quench our thirsts with. Sometimes, you just need an iced coffee.

I didn't follow PW's instructions exactly. Or at all, really. Instead of using her brewing method, I just made two pots of espresso in my little stovetop espresso pots,






















transferred it to a pitcher and refrigerated it for a few hours, and when I could stand it no longer, I made this beautiful creation:



Cold espresso, milk, sweetened condensed milk. Perfect.

I just filled the glass with ice, then about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way with the espresso, then added milk and sweetened condensed milk to taste. The SCM is very thick and tends to sink to the bottom and it's hard to stir it well with all that ice, so the next day I got smarter and used a cocktail shaker. Perfect! Josh loved this, too. I think it's going to be a staple.

It's not the healthiest thing in the world (haven't read any studies proclaiming the health benefits of sweetened condensed milk), but if you use skim milk and a small glass you should be well under 200 calories with this. And it's worth every single one of them, I promise you.

I can also promise you that there will be a pitcher of cold espresso in my fridge for the duration of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment