Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I know you're thinking "What? It's only September 1st!" And you're right, I guess, but I'm already getting a jump on the Christmas thing. Don't be jealous.

Every year I make homemade goodies to give to family and friends. This started out as more of a "what-to-give-the-grandparents" thing than anything else, to be honest. Everyone likes food, right? Then I learned to can, and it's just snowballed from there. Last year was my first attempt at infusing liquors, and that turned out pretty good, as well. Also last year I made 4 different kinds of jam to give everyone, a loaf of beer bread and two kinds of cookies. What can I say, I'm a giver.

It was a little out of hand last year, I'm not going to lie. Josh and I decided to scale back a little this time around and stick with one kind of booze to make and give (instead of three) and maybe one or two kinds of jam. His brother was quick to shoot the one-jam idea down, saying he liked the variety. I gotta give the people what they want!

So far this year I have already made fig & honey jam and a ginger-peach one as well. I am going to do at least one more, and it's a toss-up between strawberry jam (classic) and pumpkin butter. I guess we'll just see what happens.

I reorganized the vintage metal cabinet in the kitchen that houses my canning jars and other odds and ends last weekend and also labeled my jams... this will save me a step when assembling the gift baskets this year instead of waiting until the last minute. The little labels just make me so happy I had to share!





Here's my little shelf of what I've made so far:



So fun, I can't wait to make more and give it all away!

In the next couple of weeks I will be starting to make the Limoncello... it was a hit last year. It's just lemons, vodka and sugar... Don't worry, I will save some for myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment