Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend - and canning!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

Friday night I went over to a neighborhood friend's for a glass of wine, some paint consulting and a trip to Lowe's! I picked up a Halloween magazine there, and this year I am definitely going to try my hand at some candy corn pumpkins like this!



Saturday morning I headed out to the Farmer's Market for some peaches and local honey, then went to Whole Foods for some pectin, came home and cleaned and spent the rest of the day relaxing.

Yesterday (Sunday), it was time to dust off my canning pot and get to work. First up, I tried a new fig jam recipe - I think this one is a keeper. The one I did last year was good, but I like this one better, although I will use less honey next batch. Three ingredients, though, can't top that - figs, honey and lemon juice!

Starting:




Closer:



Then I put those peaches to use and made a ginger-peach jam. Peaches, sugar, lemon juice, pectin, calcium water and two tablespoons of freshly-grated ginger.... I really think this is the best thing I've ever made. This cooked up really quickly and took almost no time at all. I still have 4 pounds of peaches to use up for another batch. Hopefully tonight?







Everything from yesterday. On a checkered towel. I am such a grandma.:



In other news, the shelves are vexing me.



The whole point of them was to bring more color into the room, but I keep adorning them with neutrals. I will get it figured out one of these days. Until then...




No comments:

Post a Comment