Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Birchbox and MyGlam June 2012!!

I was so excited when I got home from work yesterday, because these were waiting for me!!


Untitled

My "beauty routine" (if you can even call it that), is quite stale and very low maintence. It usually consists of moisturizer, mascara (I have yet to find one that blows me away), eyeliner (black, brown, grey or khaki), a neutral colored lipliner (look, I miss the 90s and the dark, visible lipliner of that decade and the early 2000s. Be happy I switched to a neutral!), and some sort of gloss. That's it. I'm horrible at eyeshadow, I flush easily so I rarely use blush (when I do, it's benetint), and I don't like foundation.

HOWEVER, lately I am longing for a change. I want to find the perfect red lipstick. I want to put color on my eyes once in a while. I want to learn countouring and all that. These beauty boxes have arrived at just the right time in my life! I am hoping that they will introduce me to stuff I can't live without. So without further ado... Here's what I got this month!


Birchbox:

Untitled

Comodynes- Self-Tanning Intensive (2 self-tanning wipes)

Birchbox sez: Who needs the sun when you can get a safe, buildable, and natural-looking tan with these bestselling Eurpoean towelettes?

I sez: I am pale as a ghost and have never used self-tanner. That's not to say I wouldn't want to try them. I'm just afraid! I have brought them to work and they are up for trade with my other Birchboxing co-workers, but if they don't want them, I will probably use them at some point.

Eyeko - Fat Eye Stick (full size!)

Birchbox sez: A Birchbox exclusive, this UK brand's too-cool shadow stick combines creamy color and long lasting wear.

I sez: I'm in love. I didn't know what color they'd send me, figured it would be black and I'd put it up for trade since I have PLENTY of black eyeliner. But they sent me the color "Old Gold" which I love! I am wearing it today and I just love it SO SO SO much. It reminds me of a limited edition eyeliner Mary Kay had a couple years ago called "Tahitian Gold" that I am currently hoarding (almost two left out of four... it looks so great over black liner). I love this and I will buy it again when this one runs out.

Likewise -Facial moisturizer + sun protectant SPF normal to oily

Birchbox sez: Get sun savvy with this zinc-infused cream. It acts like a hydrating toner to mattify skin while deflecting UV rays.

I sez: Yawn. Next. Nothing special.

theBalm cosmetics - Stainiac in Beauty Queen

Birchbox Sez: We're crazy about this two-in-one lip and cheek stain: the sheer gel formula delivers a subtle, long-wearing flush.

I sez: Love! Similar to Benetint, though I think this is a little more potent. Dare I even say I prefer it to the Benetint!

Tili Bag (Lifestyle extra)

Birchbox sez: Breeze through airport security with these too-cute plastic bags. They're perfectly sized for storing all your travel essentials (and beauty samples).

I sez: This is basically a heavy-duty ziploc bag with a cute print on it. I'm not saying it isn't cute, it is! But one of my friends really likes these, so I'll probably just give it to her and she'll probably use it. I've got enough darn bags and that is the troof-troof.


John Varvatos - Star USA Men's Cologne Sample (Birchbox Man Extra)


Birchbox sez: In honor of Father's Day, we've included this dapper cologne, a blend of Ginger, juniper, berries and vetiver. Pass it on to a lucky guy friend or family member.

I sez: I haven't even opened it up to smell it yet. It's probably just going to go to Josh.

MyGlam:


Untitled

First up, the bag... every month, they send a new one. I think this one is cute. I read other reviews that the bag smelled like dead shrimp and the glitter flaked all over the place. While the bag does smell, I didn't notice any glitter shedding. I do think it's cute. If I don't get any use out of it, it will just go with my next round of Goodwill donations. However, I am planning to organize my makeup a little better, so I may end up using it... if the smell goes away!

Philosophy - Take a Deep Breath oil-free energizing oxygen gel cream moisturizer

MyGlam sez: This lightweight moisturizer detoxifies and helps protect for a healthy-looking glow.

I sez: I put a little on, and I loved the way it made my skin feel. Kind of... tingly and alive? However, my skin is at the age that it prefers a little bit heavier moisturizers. So I will probably trade this out to a friend. One already claimed it, I think!

NYX Round Lipstick in "Saturn"

MyGlam sez: Incredible color that resists wear and smudging, let your lipstick last all night with an amazing velvety-smoth, mineral formula.

I sez: I was really hoping for a red or orangey-coral color. This is just the color of my natural lips and I have plenty of neutrals. Trade.

Living Proof - frizz Nourishing Styling Cream

MyGlam sez: Stops frizz in it's tracks, keeping all styles frizz-free, soft and smooth. Living Proof's miracle molecule, OFPMA, conquers frizz by blocking humidity without silicone or heavy oils.

I sez: My hair is always a challenge, and always frizz-city, so I am sure I will get a lot of use out of this! The size they sent is 2 oz., which is enough to last me a while!

Marbella - Permanent Eyeliner Pen

MyGlam sez: Master the art of beautiful eyes with this unique, waterproof, smudge free, and long-lasting semi permanent eyeliner pen.

I sez: I read a lot of reviews by people saying the "semi-permanent" nature of this eyeliner made it impossible to remove. It's felt-tipped, like a marker, which would be great if I knew how to be precise when it came to drawing on my eyeliner. I will say I had no problems getting it off with just a washcloth and water when I tried it on last night. However, I have plenty of black eyeliner already, and the applicator is just not right for my skills at this time.

So... who won this month? While I loved getting two full-sized products from MyGlam, they just weren't right for me. Not to say I didn't appreciate them, because I did, and overall I think it was a really great bag this month from them! But Birchbox wins yet again. I LOVE the eyestick and the stain. I was hoping these sample programs would introduce me to new products that work for me and I can't live without. So far, it's working! Last month was the Kiehl's moisturizer (which I WILL purchase in full size one of these days), and this month the eyestick in the PERFECT color and the stainiac which I love more than the Benetint (and it costs less, too)!

I will probably only do MyGlam for one more month (unless they somehow manage to blow me away) and I will keep Birchbox for at least two more months to keep accumulating points toward my Kiehl's moisturizer!


2 comments:

  1. so super jealous of your eyeko stick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty darn fabulous, except I have oily eyelids, so it creases after a few hours. :(

      Delete